Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Singlish ramblings…

Before coming to Singapore I was told that English is an official language here. I was glad, as I though I would be able to communicate no problem with all Singaporeans! I also heard that they speak English with ‘an Asian flavor’, mixed-Asian accent that makes English uniquely Singaporean, commonly known as Singlish. Well, I experienced different English accents and I could understand them all right so far, so no big deal, just another rhythm, intonation or word stress will make it that more interesting! Little did I know about the ‘real Singlish’…

My first encounter with Singlish was in taxis and by the swimming pool, where I saw families and groups of friends interacting. I wasn’t sure what language did they speak, but I could catch some English here and there. Yet, I didn’t understand the whole conversations, so the only indicator was body language… A little frustrating, they were supposed to speak English here…

Well, not giving up just yet I heard some more Singlish in town, restaurants and shops. I could handle the special accent on the ‘regular English’, as in retail stores and common entertainment centers the locals did not use the real Singlish with customers. Relief… Maybe it’s not so bad after all; it’s just a matter of adjustment…

Ok, it’s time to do some research here… Nearly everyone in Singapore speaks more than one language, with many people speaking three or four. Most children grow up bilingual from infancy and learn more languages as they grow up. Naturally the presence of other languages (especially various varieties of Malay and of Chinese) has influenced the English of Singapore. The influence is especially apparent in the kind of English that is used informally, which is popularly called Singlish. Singlish is a badge of identity for many Singaporeans.

So, as a matter of fact Singlish is Singaporean slang, with English taking from Chinese grammar and is liberally sprinkled with words from the local Chinese, Malay and Indian dialects! It’s not only an accent, the whole syntax is different, vocabulary and phrases! Getting more and more interesting! Examples?

Very common feature of Singlish is scattering of the Malay term ‘lah’ used as a kind of verbal exclamation mark:

For example: "OK lah!" or "Go home lah!"

Another common phrase is:

"Aiyah, he always catch no ball one."

Which means: "He doesn't understand what I'm saying."

The local government does not support this version... It doesn't like Singlish because it thinks it is bad language and bad for Singapore's sober image as a commercial and financial center. The Speak Good English Movement was launched in 2000 by the Prime Minister Goh Chok Tong, which organizes everything from creative writing to scrabble contests on a yearly basis in order to encourage Standard English. I took a quiz in ‘Improve Your English’ section on their official website and I failed because I wasn't sure what was the correct way to say - "I ownself go."

a. I will go there myself.

b. I can go myself.

(According to the website, the right answer is a.; explanation to justify the choice was: the word “ownself” does not exist in Standard English. “Myself” or “on my own” are more appropriate terms; it does not explain though why b is incorrect… would you agree?)

Well, I understand those who use Singlish every day, as it is a way of preserving linguistic heritage of Singapore, but on the other hand I agree with the government who would like the nation to speak Standard English for its position in the business world. For my own benefit, I would prefer if the Singaporeans all spoke the English I know, but maybe I should stop complaining that ‘I always catch no ball one’ and go out there and learn some Singlish…

No comments:

Post a Comment